Saturday, February 27, 2010

Forward

A few months ago a patient gave me this note.

"I just wanted to drop you a note to tell you thanks for everything you have done with and for me. You truly are a great person! I look up to you and want to be as happy and successful as you. You make me want to live and do better and make something out of my life. You are very nice and kind. Thanks for all the great advice and talks. I wish you the best in everything in your life. Thanks again for everything."

Working with people with mental illness has to be the most interesting job that I have had. It seems that all the fields of work has trained me for this particular job. I've learned how to listen but not give to much attention. I've learned to filter out diarrhea of the mouth and apply it towards treatment. I've learned to care on a professional level, I've learned to say "no" and really mean it and mostly I've developed the ability to seek out those who really want help. Manipulation is a stink I can smell. I love to peel back layers of a persons mind, it can take months of talking on a daily basis but I love it. Talking about their life and illness and trying to make an image of something that has been shattered. It helps me in my life piece things back together, and prepares me for things to come. 

As common as this sounds, mental illness does stem from abuse, drug addiction and physical trauma. You can look in the eyes of the lost and almost see discomfort. Their body language screams for help but their mouths stay shut. How can I help you if you don't ask for it? Everyone has a breaking point and will extend a hand for help. All these patients I take care of are admitted by another facility. We are the top of the hill. No more places to go. Jails and prisons send us those who they cannot handle. Out source programs give us patients they cannot treat. My job is to protect the health care workers and keep the facility safe from harm. I love my job. I love to see a person change. Even if its for a short time. I am the eyes and ears of the doctor.

Just like the words the patient wrote for me struck a chord of "I'm glad someone is listening." Words are stronger than one can think. Remember when you are out in the community say hi to someone. Assist where you can. It's like giving a high five to everyone. It will touch some ones heart and make their day.

My job rewards me.

No comments: