I have not slept since 5:00pm yesterday.
It's 12:00pm today.
I laid down at 4:00am this morning.
Laid there for an hour.
Got my call from the railroad.
Received my assignment.
Dead head.
Thank goodness.
Laid there for another fifteen minutes.
Got up and got ready.
Went down to the diner and ate breakfast.
Got my student trainee.
He told me he threw up about an hour previous.
Got nervous.
Packed up the van with five musky old railroaders.
Put my head phones on.
Prepared for the four hour van ride.
1.5 hours go by.
I get a poke on my shoulder.
I look back at the student trainee.
He has beads of sweat dripping down his face.
I say "Woah, you okay?"
He says "Does the next town have a hospital?"
I start to panic, but I stay cool.
I turn my music up fearing the worst.
We stop, get medicine.
Continue.
2.5 hours go by.
I hear what sounded like a half gallon of water spilling behind me seat.
I look down and streams of liquid rush by my boots.
"Pull over." he softly says.
"Pull over!" I scream.
The two guys blocking the door jump out.
He follows and proceeds to vomit five feet from the door.
I look at the glistening had print of vomit he left on the seat as he exited the vehicle.
I panic calmly.
0.10 hours goes by.
I was stuck in a time warp.
The van driver cleans up the mess inside.
We all get back in.
The student trainee has a garbage bag in his lap.
He sits right behind me.
I turn my iPod up louder than usual.
My ears hurt.
0.50 hours go by.
We make it.
He tells me he feels stupid.
I tell him it's okay, now go home and get rest.
He leaves.
Thank goodness.
I finish my work.
I finished his work
I feel relieved.
High strung.
Hungry.
Tired.
sick
ugh
uh
z.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment